Complex reporting made easy
UniversalReporter provides a complete solution for reporting and supports different engineering systems. It is simple to use and allows you to also modify data and write it back to the P&ID or Smart 3D database.
Easy to use
Empower your team to create complex report templates or to extract ad-hoc reports. No programming skills or deep system knowledge of the native applications are required.
Need to change data?
You can modify P&ID or Smart 3D data directly in the GUI of UniversalReporter. For more complex modifications you can use the “Import from Excel” function which helps you to update the P&ID or Smart 3D model with data residing in external files.
All data in one place
Generate composite reports across multiple applications. Compare and validate all data in a single user interface.
Built to resolve key issues of reporting and data consolidation
Mostly, several systems are used for a single engineering project. Therefore, it is difficult to generate composite and comprehensive reports. Sometimes it even makes it impossible to verify changes in engineering content between two specific dates.
UniversalReporter is the quick and easy way to get the individual reports you need for your engineering projects. All you need are basic Excel skills. Even for complex requirements. Also when data checking and data consolidation is involved, UniversalReporter is the best choice to perform these tasks smoothly.
Use Cases | Explore the possibilities
Create a Smart 3D Piping MTO Summary Report
It is always a challenge to create a piping MTO report where all components are listed and summarized (per area, unit and/or pipeline system) with the appropriate associations to each pipe run, area, unit, etc.
3D ReportAdapter adds the hierarchy information to the pipe parts:
- UniversalReporter can use the information on pipeline, area, unit, etc. to intelligently group your data
- This individually created report gives you a quick – up to date – overview of the materials used in your plant
- Extract data from the source application by using your own filter
2. View data in UniversalReporter’s “Example Report for 3D Parts”
3. Create piping MTO summary reports using a report template that includes built-in summary functions
Create a Smart 3D Piping Instrument List
It is always a challenge to create an instrument list with the appropriate connections to the equipment or pipe runs, because the information is stored in different areas of the database.
- The PID ReportAdapter sends the connectivity information to the offline instruments so that the connection to equipment, pipe runs, etc. is available for reporting
- This type of report is very useful for downstream applications such as SmartPlant Instrumentation
1. Extract data from the source application including the connectivity and process data information
2. View data in UniversalReporter (check instrument connections and additional parameters)
3. Create instrument list report
Update Smart 3D Equipment Data
Data is stored in different locations/departments each having the ownership of parts of the data. Data must be imported in a controlled process to the Smart 3D application.
- UniversalReporter allows you to import external data into the familiar Microsoft Excel interface; the data can come from any other application or can be created manually
- UniversalReporter creates Excel reports which allow users with no access to Smart 3D to enhance and change 3D data
1. Extract data from Smart 3D using the 3D ReportAdapter
2. Receive Excel report from another department, including additional information
3. Import additional data from the Excel sheet into the UniversalReporter
4. Write imported data back to Smart 3D
Update Process Data for P&ID
Data is stored in different locations/departments, each having ownership of its own data. The data must be imported in a controlled process to the SmartPlant P&ID application
- UniversalReporter allows you to modify source data using its Microsoft Excel interface; the data can be modified by users from different departments each adding their own information. It can then be imported into UniversalReporter
- Any changes towards the Smartplant P&ID application are tracked in a history file (history logging)
- In addition:
- Verification steps ensure all changes are applied correctly (e.g. check of code list values)
- Restricted data cannot be changed
- Changes are propagated to connected objects as defined in the rules
- Data changes are reflected via labels in the corresponding SmartPlant P&ID documents
1. Extract data from the source application
2. Add/modify technical parameters (from a Process Engineer perspective)
3. Import the modified reports into UniversalReporter
4. Write the changes to SmartPlant P&ID
Create snapshot with PIDReportAdapter
Find duplicate items
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I quickly generate report templates?
Most engineering staff are familiar with these standard Excel functions. With this approach, you can even create complex report templates with multi-line data or data on multi-pages quickly and easily. Also, ad-hoc reports can be generated in minutes without requiring a report writing specialist. Created templates can be saved for re-use, making workflows more efficient.
How can I compose reports from multiple applications?
How can I compare data between two specific dates?
How can I modify P&ID attributes or Smart 3D data ?
A generic “Import from Excel” function simplifies the process of changing multiple items in one step; e.g. pressure and temperature values can be imported based on a fluid code or 3D equipment descriptions can be imported based on an external equipment list or based on data from the P&ID, etc.
How do I visualise the objects on the P&ID or in the 3D model?
How can I ensure the quality of my data?
Another useful function allows the user to check if the attributes of the pipe runs connected to a pair of OPCs are identical.
For P&ID drawings, the user can also check:
- if they contain auxiliary graphics
- the number of versions for each drawing
- if a version is associated to the revision (for P&ID revisions)
Additionally, there is a Detailed Data Quality Module that allows users to check the quality of the data for specific naming conventions or design rules. This can be transferred onto the report in order to enforce corporate and project data management quality standards.
ReportAdapters and EditAdapters
ReportAdapters connect to the source application database and extract data as a snapshot, which is then used by the UniversalReporter. EditAdapters allow the user to modify data and write it back to the source application via the source application’s API.
ReportAdapters are available for the following Intergraph applications:
- SmartPlant P&ID (EditAdapter available)
- SmartPlant Electrical
- SmartPlant Instrumentation
- SmartPlant 3D (EditAdapter available)
- PDS (EditAdapter available through “CopyMoveRotate”)
- In-house Microsoft Access databases can be used within UniversalReporter
- Excel files can be converted easily so that the content is displayed in UniversalReporter
Get started | Try or buy
UniversalReporter adds value to your organisation.
Try it out now. Request a free demo-licence
Purchase/Lease licences – we will find the best pricing model for you
Please contact us for either option at the CAXperts office.